michelejacobsen

Michele Jacobsen

Just an essay kind of girl living in a TL;DR world.

Shhhhh....I'll tell you a secret

Lord John and the Hellfire Club - Diana Gabaldon

This is where I share one of my deepest, darkest literary secrets. No, it's not that I've been fibbing about reading War and Peace all these years. I truly did read War and Peace cover to cover and the story of how that came about is quite pathetic and deserving of its own blog entry someday.

No, my deep dark literary secret actually puts me in physical danger. *Whispering* I cannot stand Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series.

It's true.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. Like millions of others readers, I fell in love with the original novel, oh those twenty plus years ago. Jamie and Claire lit my imagination on fire and when the announcement came that Gabaldon would be writing a sequel......dear god in heaven! My literary life seemed complete. (Oh the 1980s and 90s were such a time of innocence....)

Until the sequel and all the subsequent novels in the series actually arrived. It didn't seem possible, but they just got worse and worse with each passing book. Not only were Jamie and Claire turned into geriatric sex fiends, but Gabaldon herself turned into a writer who refused to let a metaphor pass by without sticking it into an Outlander novel. By the time I reached An Echo in the Bone where an elderly Claire - engaged in a mutual outdoor masturbation scene in the middle of the American Revolution - notes that her nipples became as hard as musket balls, I was ready to shoot Gabaldon with a musket ball myself.

The natural question here is: why, oh why did I keep on reading the novels? The answer to that lies somewhere in between sheer tenacity (will it ever end?) and the delight of Gabaldon's secondary characters. Over the years I came to thoroughly enjoy many of the characters rambling through the background of her novels as much as I despised main characters such as Bree and Roger. And of course, I loved Lord John Grey more than any other.

It is therefore a given that I should enjoy Gabaldon's off-shoot series that features Lord John. This series is a combination of novellas and novels both and if read in order you can certainly see Gabaldon begin to take this character quite seriously over the course of time. The books and novellas are a sheer pleasure and I highly recommend them....whether you loved Jamie and Claire or not.

The Lord John Grey Series

1. 1. Lord John and the Hellfire Club (Novella)*
  2. 2. Lord John and the Private Matter (Novel)
  3. 3. Lord John and the Succubus (Novella)*
  4. 4. Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade (Novel)
  5. 5. Lord John and the Haunted Soldier (Novella)*
  6. 6. The Custom of the Army (Ebook)
  7. 7. The Scottish Prisoner (Novel)

8. Lord John and the Plague of the Zombies (Ebook)

*Novellas included in the Hand of Devils Collection